Star Wars company fined almost $2M for Harrison Ford accident

Publish Date : 2021-04-01


Star Wars company fined almost $2M for Harrison Ford accident

The Disney-owned company, Foodles Production (UK) Ltd, had admitted two health and safety breaches in relation to the incident in June 2014, when Ford's leg was crushed by a hydraulic door.

The 71-year-old actor had been reprising his role as Han Solo in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' when he was hit by the heavy door on the set of the Millennium Falcon, his character's spacecraft.

Door like 'blunt guillotine'

The door acted like a 'blunt guillotine,' coming down 'millimeters from his face,' said prosecutor Andrew Marshall, according to PA.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told the court on Wednesday that Ford was hit with a force similar to the weight of a small car.

Judge Francis Sheridan said: 'The greatest failing of all on behalf of the company is a lack of communication,' the agency added.

'If only they had included Mr. Ford in all the discussions, he might have at least been alert to the dangers that he had to avoid,' he said of the incident at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, England.

Ford acknowledged the accident, which required surgery, through a spokeswoman shortly after it occurred. He later teased the movie's director, J.J. Abrams, about the incident during promotional appearances in December.

Multimillion dollar franchise

The Foodles Production company is based at the same west London address as a number of Disney-owned companies, including ESPN. Disney purchased Lucasfilm from 'Star Wars' creator George Lucas in 2012.

The seventh installment of the beloved sci-fi franchise has proved a massive hit with audiences worldwide. Disney said in December that the blockbuster had broken the $1 billion mark around the world faster than any other film in history. The eighth installment is in production.

Multimillion dollar franchise 'If only they had included Mr. Ford in all the discussions, he might have at least been alert to the dangers that he had to avoid,' he said of the incident at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, England. The Disney-owned company, Foodles Production (UK) Ltd, had admitted two health and safety breaches in relation to the incident in June 2014, when Ford's leg was crushed by a hydraulic door. Multimillion dollar franchise The Disney-owned company, Foodles Production (UK) Ltd, had admitted two health and safety breaches in relation to the incident in June 2014, when Ford's leg was crushed by a hydraulic door. Judge Francis Sheridan said: 'The greatest failing of all on behalf of the company is a lack of communication,' the agency added. 'If only they had included Mr. Ford in all the discussions, he might have at least been alert to the dangers that he had to avoid,' he said of the incident at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, England. Door like 'blunt guillotine' Judge Francis Sheridan said: 'The greatest failing of all on behalf of the company is a lack of communication,' the agency added. Judge Francis Sheridan said: 'The greatest failing of all on behalf of the company is a lack of communication,' the agency added. The seventh installment of the beloved sci-fi franchise has proved a massive hit with audiences worldwide. Disney said in December that the blockbuster had broken the $1 billion mark around the world faster than any other film in history. The eighth installment is in production. Ford acknowledged the accident, which required surgery, through a spokeswoman shortly after it occurred. He later teased the movie's director, J.J. Abrams, about the incident during promotional appearances in December. The door acted like a 'blunt guillotine,' coming down 'millimeters from his face,' said prosecutor Andrew Marshall, according to PA. 'If only they had included Mr. Ford in all the discussions, he might have at least been alert to the dangers that he had to avoid,' he said of the incident at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, England. The Disney-owned company, Foodles Production (UK) Ltd, had admitted two health and safety breaches in relation to the incident in June 2014, when Ford's leg was crushed by a hydraulic door. Multimillion dollar franchise Ford acknowledged the accident, which required surgery, through a spokeswoman shortly after it occurred. He later teased the movie's director, J.J. Abrams, about the incident during promotional appearances in December. The door acted like a 'blunt guillotine,' coming down 'millimeters from his face,' said prosecutor Andrew Marshall, according to PA. Judge Francis Sheridan said: 'The greatest failing of all on behalf of the company is a lack of communication,' the agency added. Judge Francis Sheridan said: 'The greatest failing of all on behalf of the company is a lack of communication,' the agency added. The 71-year-old actor had been reprising his role as Han Solo in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' when he was hit by the heavy door on the set of the Millennium Falcon, his character's spacecraft. Ford acknowledged the accident, which required surgery, through a spokeswoman shortly after it occurred. He later teased the movie's director, J.J. Abrams, about the incident during promotional appearances in December. 'If only they had included Mr. Ford in all the discussions, he might have at least been alert to the dangers that he had to avoid,' he said of the incident at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, England. Ford acknowledged the accident, which required surgery, through a spokeswoman shortly after it occurred. He later teased the movie's director, J.J. Abrams, about the incident during promotional appearances in December. The Disney-owned company, Foodles Production (UK) Ltd, had admitted two health and safety breaches in relation to the incident in June 2014, when Ford's leg was crushed by a hydraulic door. Ford acknowledged the accident, which required surgery, through a spokeswoman shortly after it occurred. He later teased the movie's director, J.J. Abrams, about the incident during promotional appearances in December.

#newsupdatenow



Category :site-development

Liverpool faces possible expulsion from the English League Cup

Liverpool faces possible expulsion from the English League Cup

- Reports have identified Spanish midfielder Pedro Chirivella, who came on as a second half substitute


The Irwin family is working to save the animals injured in the Australia wildfires

The Irwin family is working to save the animals injured in the Australia wildfires

- Terri and Robert Irwin, Steve Irwins widow and son, spoke with "Anderson Cooper Full Circle" on Mon


US soccer club defends decision to offer contract to player who served jail time for sex with minor

US soccer club defends decision to offer contract to player who served jail time for sex with minor

- Ricardo Velazco was 23 at the time of the incident in May 2017, while the girl was 15-years-old.<br>


Lindsey Vonn delays injury comeback in farewell season

Lindsey Vonn delays injury comeback in farewell season

- Vonn, who needs five more World Cup wins to pass Ingemar Stenmarks record of 86, injured her knee i