Mortal remains of seasons first Everest casualty flown back to Kathmandu

Publish Date : 2021-05-30


Mortal remains of seasons first Everest casualty flown back to Kathmandu

The mortal remains of a 55-year-old American climber, who died on Mount Everest earlier this month, has been airlifted to Kathmandu on Sunday. The mortal remains of Puwei Liu were airlifted to Teaching Hospital at Maharajgunjin capital Kathmandu on Sunday afternoon where a post mortem examination has been conducted.

"The American climber died on Camp IV (above7,900 meters) of Sagarmatha (Mount Everest) earlier this month. The adverse weather condition delayed the airlift of mortal remains of the climbers, it took 19 days to get the body fly to Kathmandu," Rishiraj Dhakal, Information Officer at District Police Office, Solukhumbu confirmed ANI over the phone. While descending from Hillary Step (the max height he gained), Liu began suffering from snow blindness and exhaustion, The Himalayan Times reported.

Consequently, one more hour was added to the stipulated descent time but with the help of extra oxygen supply and additional Sherpa support, he safely reached the South Col. However, he died there. As per the expedition organizers, mortal remains of Liu was carried down to Camp II and then picked up by a helicopter on Saturday before it was flown to Kathmandu on Sunday.

The Spring Season this year witnessed a total of three deaths in the Everest Region out of which Liu is the first casualty reported in 2021. In the year 2020, Nepal closed all its mountains in wake of the COVID-19 pandemic in Earth's highest altitude.

This year Nepal government issued record 408 permits to climbers out of which many called off their expedition plans owing to the outbreak of coronavirus infection in Base Camp despite the government's denial. 

Box Office: 'A Quiet Place Part II' Sets Pandemic Record With $48 Million Debut

After a brutal year and change for the movie theater business, the North American box office is finally showing signs of life again. That's mostly thanks to John Krasinski's post-apocalyptic thriller "A Quiet Place Part II." The sequel collected a roaring $48 million between Friday and Sunday, exceeding expectations and posting the biggest three-day haul of the pandemic era.

Adds details, quotes) By Rebecca Rubin

LOS ANGELES, May 30 (Variety.com) - You can almost hear the collective sigh of relief from studio executives across Hollywood. After a brutal year and change for the movie theater business, the North American box office is finally showing signs of life again.

That's mostly thanks to John Krasinski's post-apocalyptic thriller "A Quiet Place Part II." The sequel collected a roaring $48 million between Friday and Sunday, exceeding expectations and posting the biggest three-day haul of the pandemic era. The Paramount Pictures film, currently playing in 3,726 venues, is expected to generate a sizable $58 million through Memorial Day on Monday. Those ticket sales are significant because it's not far off from what the movie was projected to make prior to the pandemic. (The sequel was originally set to release in March of 2020, and, well, we all know what happened then.) The original "A Quiet Place" opened to $50 million in 2018, a huge result for a movie that's not based on existing IP. The studio's decision to hold the follow-up film until theaters reopened to a significant degree proved to be prudent.

"This is an outstanding opening," says David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research. "[It's] well above average for a horror sequel." He adds that "A Quiet Place Part II" could have debuted to $60 million if all U.S. theaters had reopen. "Still," Gross says, "this movie is going to make a lot of money and bring enormous value to streaming." "A Quiet Place Part II," which sees the return of Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe as a family forced to live in near-silence, has the benefit of getting an exclusive theatrical release. It will move to Paramount Plus, the streaming service owned by its parent company ViacomCBS, in 45 days. Recent releases, including the Warner Bros. and Legendary tentpole "Godzilla vs. Kong" and Disney's "Raya and the Last Dragon," premiered simultaneously on digital platforms. Despite its hybrid rollout on HBO Max, "Godzilla vs. Kong" previously boasted the best start since COVID-19 hit with $32 million for the three-day weekend and $48 million in its first five days on the big screen.

"A Quiet Place Part II" did exceptionally well on premium formats, like Imax. Of its $58 million four-day weekend bounty, a (pandemic) record $5 million came from Imax screens. As Imax CEO Rich Gelfod put it: "'A Quiet Place Part II' is the first domestic release this year to cross the threshold from 'great opening weekend given the pandemic' to 'great opening weekend, period' -- offering undeniable proof that the domestic box office is back." He continued, "The film's stellar results give the box office a strong jolt of momentum heading into the summer, and the many blockbusters that held out for an exclusive theatrical release stand to benefit."

This weekend's other major release, Disney's live-action "Cruella" starring Emma Stone, pulled in promising numbers for a movie that's currently playing in homes. (It's available to rent on Disney Plus for $30.) The movie, a punk rock origin story about the infamous puppy-hating "101 Dalmatians" villain, is estimated to bring in $21.3 million from 3,892 theaters over the three-day weekend and $26.5 million through Monday. Internationally, "Cruella" has posted $16.1 million from 29 overseas countries. That brings its total earnings to $37.4 million globally, with projections of $42.6 million through Memorial Day.

Over Memorial Day weekend, one of the most popular times of year to visit the movies, overall revenues in the U.S. will be above $100 million for the first time in more than a year, according to Comscore. Around 75% of U.S. theaters have reopened, with many locations still facing capacity restrictions. Elsewhere at the domestic box office, the horror film "Spiral" -- starring Chris Rock and Samuel L. Jackson -- slid to third place in its third weekend of release. The chilling installment in the gruesome "Saw" franchise added another $2.1 million, taking its U.S. tally to $20 million.

Jason Statham's "Wrath of Man" landed in fourth place with $2 million. After a month in theaters, the vigilante action adventure has grossed $22.7 million. "Raya and the Last Dragon" rounded out the top five on box office charts. The family friendly cartoon made $1.9 million in its 13th weekend of release. The PG film, which has been offered on Disney Plus Premier Access, has amassed $51 million to date.

Jay Cutler seeks 50 pc of Kristin Cavallari's brand in divorce: Report

American TV personality Kristin Cavallari's ex-husband and Jay Cutler's is said to be seeking half ownership of Cavallari's lifestyle company, 'Uncommon James.'

American TV personality Kristin Cavallari's ex-husband and Jay Cutler's is said to be seeking half ownership of Cavallari's lifestyle company, 'Uncommon James.' Page Six quoted a report by TMZ on Saturday (local time) as they cited sources saying that the 38-year-old NFL quarterback is seeking 50 per cent ownership of the brand as it was launched during their marriage.

The 34-year-old TV star Cavallari, meanwhile, is said to believe that she doesn't owe any part of 'Uncommon James' to Cutler, alleging that she funded the business, which sells jewellery, clothing, and home goods. As reported by Page Six, Cavallari and Cutler announced their divorce in April 2020 after seven years of marriage. They have three children together: two sons -- 8-year-old Camden, 7-year-old Jaxon and 5-year-old daughter Saylor.

In May 2020, it was revealed Cavallari and Cutler had reached a joint custody agreement amid their separation. In the wake of the couple's divorce announcement, Cavallari confirmed her E! reality series, 'Very Cavallari,' would conclude after three seasons.

The show, which ran from 2018 to 2020, documented Cavallari's business ventures and her marriage to Cutler. During a 2018 episode of the series, Cavallari said of Cutler, "He thinks he owns half of this company, and he does not. That is not on our non-existent prenup."

In a 2019 instalment, where she asked Cutler to speak with employees, Cavallari stated, "Jay already thinks that he owns half of the company, so by me letting him go in, I'm potentially creating a monster." Parting ways, Cutler has supported Cavallari's business endeavours, praising the release of her cookbook, 'True Comfort,' in October 2020.

Pieces of a Woman

Giardino Segreto

Wonder Woman 1984 streaming ITA

Cosa sarà streaming ITA

Scooby!

 



Category :news

Virus, technology, unrest make stressful year for teachers

Virus, technology, unrest make stressful year for teachers

- The school bell rings, and about a dozen masked first-graders turn to the monitor and wave hello to their classmates — each a tiny Zoom square repres


Biden Picks Up Votes In Milwaukee County After Recount

Biden Picks Up Votes In Milwaukee County After Recount

- President-elect Joe Biden’s lead increased by 132 votes after county election officials recounted over 450,000 votes.


First adult mental health centre opens in Adelaide

First adult mental health centre opens in Adelaide

- Thousands of South Australians needing urgent mental health assistance will now be able to access cutting edge out-of-hospital care, with the doors opened


The VC and founder winners in Airbnb

The VC and founder winners in Airbnb

- an-emergency-use-authorization-is-an-authority-that-congress-gave-to-fda-after-the-terrorist-attacks-to-allow-discussion.