Do you know that your heart could be ageing a lot faster than you? As per data, almost three out of four people in the U.S have hearts older than their actual age, and this puts them at more significant risk for strokes or heart ailments. But fret not. The good news is that there are some simple ways by which one could heal their heart and keep it young. Though there are many ways by which you could maintain a healthy and disease-free heart. For instance, make sure to get an annual check-up done, exercise daily, quit smoking immediately, and cut down your stress levels. But, the most straightforward lifestyle amendment that would help your heart stay healthy is by keeping a watch on what you eat.
Five Foods To Keep Your Heart Healthy And Young
Here are the top five foods that best heart surgeons in India recommend to keep your heart in good shape.
- Fish: Fatty fish like sardines, salmon, and arctic char are perfect for heart health. However, you must remember that it is good to have some seafood than no seafood at all. So in case, you prefer softer, flaky white fish, then you could try shellfish or some other fishes. If you are short on time, make fish fillets, which would be ready in less than 10 minutes and are an excellent choice for a quick dinner.
- Chia seeds and flaxseeds: There are certain kind of seeds which are an abundant plant-based source of the very beneficial omega-3 fatty acids like alpha-linolenic acid. It is a known fact that omega-3 fatty acids have many advantages like aiding in reducing the levels of triglycerides, total cholesterol, and LDL. Chai and flaxseeds also balance the blood pressure and reduce the build-up of fatty plaques in your arteries. These seeds also cut down the risk of conditions or ailments that could lead to a stroke such as arrhythmias and thrombosis.
- Coffee: Cardiologists at best heart hospital in India believe that drinking coffee could have some health benefits because of the antioxidants like polyphenols present in it. The polyphenolic antioxidants enhance insulin sensitivity and also one's glucose metabolism. Various studies show that drinking between three to five cups of coffee in a day reduces your risk of death and the risk of cardiovascular ailments. Additionally, it helps in decreasing your risk of acquiring type two diabetes. But the only backside to drinking coffee is the sugar. Adding tonnes of sugar could be counterproductive as the calories would work against you. Black coffee is considered to be good and drinking one cup in the morning cup with a minimum of added ingredients would surely do you good.
- Lentils and Beans: To keep your heart young and healthy, best heart surgeons in India recommend including a variety of lentils and beans at least three times a week. Studies show that plant-based proteins like lentils are loaded with nutrients and can be a good alternative for processed or red meats, which could enhance the risks for heart disease. You should also add low-sodium beans paired with sautéed or grilled vegetables for a healthy meal.
- Dark Chocolate: Various studies show that consuming cocoa in a hot drink or eating dark chocolate help improve your cardiovascular health. A study conducted on women stated that the ones who consumed a couple of servings of an excellent dark chocolate every week were at a 32 per cent lesser risk of getting a heart failure as compared to those who did not have cocoa. Another study conducted on men found that the ones who ate around 1/3 cup of any dark chocolate per week had almost 17 per cent lesser risk of strokes than the ones who were not having any chocolate at all. The best heart hospital in India recommends that cocoa is loaded with polyphenols and flavanols, which are rich anti-inflammatory compounds that aid in safeguarding the heart. Want to have a young heart? Then eat dark chocolate that's has a minimum of 70 per cent cacao to gain the maximum benefits from its antioxidants.